Monday, 9 July 2012

01. Hello and Welcome!



New to the writing world, I am learning to navigate that amazing (and somewhat nail biting) universe of drafts, manuscripts, queries, synopses and pitches on my way to completing my dream goal - the first of what I hope are many must-read novels.


My love for the paranormal and the supernatural has been a constant part of my life. I can't recall a time where I wasn't fascinated by mythology, ghosts, monsters, witches and ‘things that go bump in the night’. Never mind that I slept with a hand over my neck, (because that somehow warded off vampires in my childish mind.) Or that I refused to walk down the hall until one of my parents turned on every light from the kitchen to my bedroom. My selective bravery didn’t stop me from sneaking outside during the full moon to see if there really were faeries (or fairies if you prefer) partying at the bottom of the garden. Somehow they managed to disappear just before I got there, but I was always close, I was sure of it.


It wasn’t until I reached my teens and discovered romance novels that I came to realise boys weren’t as gross as I believed. (Well, not all of them.) I had two collections of stories then. Stephen King, Dean Koontz and James Herbert ruled one pile, and any number of Mills and Boon authors reigned in the other, but there wasn’t anything available that combined the two. Skip a decade or so of real life and one of my dearest wishes had been granted – a diverse new genre combining the things I loved most. Now my reading list bulges with the delights of Charlaine Harris, Allison Brennan and many more.


My current scope of work is a paranormal romance trilogy aimed at the new adult market. My reading tastes range from adult to young adult fiction in the romance, paranormal, suspense, horror, fantasy and science fiction genres.


While I am in no way qualified to give writing advice, (or adept at blogging for that matter) I am happy to share with you the things I learn in the same way that other experienced authors have so generously imparted. With that information at hand, you are free to utilise or discard as you see fit.


Thank you for visiting. :)









6 comments:

  1. I love your new blog, Dannielle. I'm another Paranormal Romance fan ... though I was never brave enough to read a Stephen King, so I guess you could say I like the lighter, friendlier paranormal stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your support, Jenny. :) I look forward to reading your PR novels.

    I'm not that brave. All the lights had to be on before I settled in with a Stephen King novel. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is BRILLIANT! Still can't wait to read that first published novel, my friend. Let me know if you want some "dressing up" done for your blog. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Angel. :) Once I get the hang of what I'm doing here (or at least think I am) I may just take you up on that generous offer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very attractive site. I hope you find those fairies. Are you really looking hard enough? Good luck with your ambitions. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret for your well wishes and your comments on the site. :) Just never know where and when those fairies are going to appear. lol

      Delete