Thursday, 26 January 2017

57. The Goals

Welcome to my readers new and established. Thank you for being a part of my adventures in writing. I appreciate your support, your words, and the time you choose to spend with me. :)

You may be pleased to know I’m somewhat orientated compared to last month. I’ve managed to get lost twice, (and discovered a new beach and some beautiful old buildings), but I found my way home again. While I’m still dealing with ocean sunsets (one never gets tired of those) and the Mediterranean style climate, there’s still adjustments to be made. The kids will be starting at a new school and it’s hard to tell who’s more nervous and excited – them or me. It’s also bush fire season here, so having helicopters and small planes fly so low over one’s roof that one can read their registration number is a startling novelty too. What a sight we must look to the neighbours should they see us running out of the house wondering what the noise is. There are moments where I think I’ve been dropped into an episode of MASH, the whir of the choppers is so loud. And then there’s the matter of the goals I’ve set for myself this year – oh dear. Let’s hope they’re not akin to my usual New Year’s resolution efforts.

Book Reviews

My reading material was mixed this month. It saddens me to read something where I can’t connect with the characters. It was a romance set in the fifties, a time when being an independent woman, especially one who’s walked away from a violent, loveless marriage, was frowned upon. I have no doubt this character was a strong, motivated woman who defied the odds of social convention at a very difficult time, but I found her frustrating when all I wanted to do was cheer her on. Still, there’s a lesson to be learned, isn’t there? Not everyone is going to love your characters and your story, and while it’s imperative to engage your readers, sometimes all it comes down to is a matter of taste.

One writer whom always engages me, however, is Ms Jenny Schwartz and I am happy to share her latest offering. :)

Phoenix Blood (Old School Book 1)

In a grim biker bar with wizard mercenaries on her tail and a “found” amulet around her neck, Sadie Howard needs a miracle. What she gets is the man who broke her heart nine years ago.

Marcus Aurelius is a changed man, in more ways than one. The preppy, confident medical school student is now a hard-bitten, magic-wielding assassin. He’s also a man on a mission. He has debts to pay and old wrongs to right before he dies—sometime this week.
As the secrets of Marcus’s heart are revealed, Sadie learns that nothing is as it seems and that the man who broke her heart also saved her life and paid in agony for her freedom.

With wizards trying to kill her, phoenix blood burning in Marcus’s veins, and a villain who’ll stop at nothing to acquire the amulet Sadie has promised to a friend, their road trip is a one-way ticket to extraordinary adventures. The question is, who will survive?
***

Phoenix Blood is the first novel in the new paranormal romance thriller series, Old School. Each novel is a standalone read. Watch out for Fantastical Island in February 2017.

Hard-bitten is an understatement – Marcus is one angry character, but the reader soon learns why he exudes so much ‘fire’. In contrast, Sadie is a gentle soul who’s trying to live life as best she can after Marcus destroyed their love. He’s the last person Sadie expected to play her ‘knight in shining armour’, but Sadie’s about to learn she’s stronger than she thought and more powerful than she believed. And Marcus is about to learn the hard way what it means to sacrifice for love.

The hot anger Marcus has just boils from the pages of this story in contrast to the coolness Sadie has built around her shattered heart. Of course, this makes for a steamy read in more ways than one. ;) There’s a quiet lesson here about believing in one’s self and as in any good romance story, what the power of love can truly accomplish. Phoenix Blood is subtle in what it hints of things to come, but I have a good feeling about where this series will progress. :)

Ms Jenny Schwartz - http://authorjennyschwartz.com/

News

Ah, the goals, not resolutions. :/

My first competition story for the year is waiting judgement. I hope that doing some things differently will pay off, but if not, the feedback, as always, will be valuable. Then there’s finishing a novella that frankly needs to be rewritten because I’m stuck in the characters’ pasts and not their present. Believe me, they’re not happy about it either. Another lesson to be learned there, no doubt. The biggest thing on my goal list - finishing those unfinished projects – although some of those are because I can’t step back and say ‘enough’. I also have a project idea I’m working on once I have the graphics sorted (translation - once my husband does his design magic – LOL). And one more thing – I’m not a scriptwriter by any means, but I’d like to see if I can do it. There’s an idea swirling around in my brain and I can ‘see’ the script, but that’s for after I’ve ‘finished’ everything else, right. RIGHT!


On that note, I need to get cracking, so I hope 2017 is a year of happiness, hope, and wonderful moments (and achieving goals) for you all. :)

6 comments:

  1. Best wishes for your writing plans for 2017. Sounds like you're going to have a busy year. Good-oh! xxAshlyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashlyn. I have some lost time to regain.

      Delete
  2. You made me laugh with the MASH comment. True, though :)

    Scriptwriting has me totally intrigued. I remember the workshop you did. Evidently it's inspired you - I hope it goes really well. I'm daunted by the whole idea, so I'll watch in awe as you work.

    Thanks for the lovely review of Phoenix Blood. Marcus was my long-awaited wounded hero. I've been wanting to write one for ages, and I think he's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite intimidating having them flying overhead. We had no idea what was going on the first time it happened. Luckily the neighbours did and were greatly amused by our sudden emergence from the house. :)

      I'm daunted by the whole idea too, but there was so much time last year when I was preparing to move that only the bare minimum of writing happened. Not happy about that. I have so much catching up to do.

      I don't know why the script is there, but that's how the story is playing out in my head. All part of the experimentation. :)

      Marcus is your most tortured character yet. He was heavy with pain and loathing. I imagine writing 'the end' was like releasing a long held breath. LOL All your men are gorgeous. So many book boyfriends to choose from - although I'm not sure that's always a good thing.

      Delete
  3. Wow. MASH, Phoenix Blood, and an unsatisfying read. Sounds like an adventure in the wild west of Australia. Looking forward to watching as you meet your goals for 2017, discover script writing, and make up for all the confusion of the move and settling in. Good times ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely having an adventure, Shelley. :)

      Good to know I have people keeping me honest as I work through my workload and yes, I have plenty of making up to do after such a crazy few months.

      Delete